Why Study Online?
Online learning has become an integral part of contemporary higher education. The rise of online learning carries an opportunity to transform the schooling system into a student-centric environment that can customize for student needs, allowing each student to realize and reach their fullest potential. An increasing number of institutions are incorporating online courses and degrees into their curriculum as web-based learning offers many benefits which traditional learning cannot.
- All courses are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Students are able to work at their own pace
- Our teachers are enthusiastic and trained to teach in an online environment
- Students receive individualized attention from teachers
- Open enrolment throughout the year
The Future of Education and the Workplace
The following statistics present what the small, mid-sized and large companies intend to purchase in 2015, based on the 2014 Training Industry Report:
- 44% of companies intent to purchase online learning tools and systems
- 41% of companies intent to purchase Learning Management Systems
- 37% of companies intent to purchase authoring tools/systems
- 33% of companies intent to purchase classroom tools and systems
- 29% of companies intent to purchase content development products and services
- 27% of companies intent to purchase courseware design and presentation tools and software
- 18% of companies intent to purchase audio and web conferencing products and systems
Online Learning at CHLA
- Information and communication technology (ICT) tools are an integral part of our learning system
- Throughout each course, students use multimedia resources, data bases, internet websites, digital cameras, and word-processing programs.
- Students use technology to collect, organize, and sort the data they gather and write, edit and present reports on their findings.
- Students are encouraged to use ICT to support and communicate their learning
- CHLA plans to use ICT to connect students and teachers with tools that will prepare them for the 21st century workplace
The Moodle System
CHLA will be using Moodle software to run an online school. Moodle is an open source software used by many organizations and educational institutes to conduct online learning. Students have direct access to all of their course material through their Moodle account. Moodle is the standard for most online schools and local Canadian universities such as York University and Queen’s University who use Moodle to operate their online classes.
- Students will be able to enrol at any point during the year and will have 10 months to complete a course.
- They are able to complete the course at their own pace by themselves.
- Once a student completes a single credit with us their mark will be forwarded to their home school.
- If a student completes their entire high school diploma with us they will receive their high school diploma from CHLA.
Please visit www.moodle.com for more details.
Online Education by the Numbers
- It is estimated that there are approximately just under one million online course registrations for high school courses.
- In secondary schools, 44% of principals report that most or all of their teachers use videos or Youtube for instruction, and 33% report that most or all teachers use external websites for instruction.
- In Canada, 83% of households have access to the internet at home.
- 90% of grade 6 students reported they used the Internet either before or after school.
- Canadian Students are experiencing an increase of 20% more stress from school. Taking Online courses at their own pace and third party tutoring are the current leading remedies for this.